Thursday 16 April 2015

Creative Block.

We all as creatives come to a creative standstill at one point in our lives.

This could be for a number of reasons. The brief might not be working for you or you have a lot of personal issues on your plate. But the important thing to remember is to not beat yourself up when this happens. Getting stuck into a rut about these things can be frustrating and can have negative effects on our self esteem as artists and our productivity.

I had to spell it out for myself today, as for the past 2 weeks I have been so wrapped up and panicked about my current projects that I have almost burnt out.

I wrote myself 9 motivational points on an A3 piece of card to stick on the wall in front of my desk so every time I look up in exasperation it is there smack bang in the middle of my view.

                                                           I am an ARTIST! 
This is who you are! Painter, Illustrator, Graphic Designer, Fine Artist, Musician, Animator, or Film Maker. How ever you want to dress it up. These are obviously a few of many you may even be multiple! Don't be modest. It is yours!

                                                           I WILL get a 2:1
I want to get a 2:1 more than anything. It is my dream grade and i know it is within my reach. I want it so i am going to work my stripy socks off to get it! You can get a 1st class degree if you really work hard but be realistic. Have you sat around all year doing nothing? That game of thrones episode can wait until you've done this. It will be there after uni. Even more reason to keep of Facebook!

                                                          I have worked hard
Give credit where credit is due. So you are struggling. That is a good thing it means you feel challenged and the relief when it's done and how proud you will feel for completing a difficult task is a feeling you should embrace.

                                                            I will finish Uni
You've come this far. Remember the pain it was to fill out a UCAS form? You still did it. You are here now so finish what you started.

                                                    I can finish these projects
It may seem overwhelming but STOP. Breathe. Plan how it is going to work. Have you overcomplicated it? Write it down.

                                                      I haven't lost my spark
Just because things aren't going right it doesn't mean to say you are a failure and that you aren't worth the title of being a creative. Unhelpful self criticisms aren't going to be of any use. Stop trying to find a beating yourself up or trying to find a blame.

                                                         I am motivated
The more you tell yourself I am unmotivated, I can't be bothered, I am just not feeling it. The more you will believe it so change it! Think positively get off your backside. Get off Facebook. Pull the dreaded project out and tackle it. I found an awesome website and I read the article in Drill Sgt Hartmans voice (yell) from Full Metal Jacket.

                                        I am worthy of being in the industry
Everyone has a chance. You don't have a god given right to walk into a design company and expect to be hired. You have to work for it. That is why you are working these projects and building a portfolio. Just because you get turned down (if you're luck enough) or you don't get a reply doesn't mean you are useless.

Do not give up, you worked hard to get here and you deserve it just as much as everyone else.
This is the most important part. Giving up won't get you anywhere. Regardless of how you got to uni you had to work your way some how so you have just as much right as anyone else to be there. I was absolutely rubbish in school all I wanted to do was read books and draw. I started from the bottom in college and worked for years to get to uni. If you want it, work for it.

Be the person you want to be even if it is horrifically hungover the day after hand in.....



No comments:

Post a Comment